Safeguarding in the Parish of Merton Priory
As a parish we are committed to helping everyone learn and worship in a safe environment.
We have adopted the safeguarding policy and procedures of Southwark Diocese,
'A Safe Church'.
This includes these policies:
• Safeguarding Policy Promoting a Safer Church
• Policy for Responding to Domestic Abuse
Our recruitment process for those working with children, young people, or vulnerable adults includes
DBS check, references, and induction. The Parish Church Council (PCC) reviews our practices on a regular
basis to ensure that we comply with our Safeguarding policy.
Our Parish Safeguarding Officers can be contacted at
Our Churchwardens can be contacted at
firstname.lastname@example.org (Christ Church, Colliers Wood),
email@example.com (St John the Divine, Merton) and
firstname.lastname@example.org (Holy Trinity, South Wimbledon).
The Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Pamela Chisholm, can be contacted at
email@example.com or on
020 7939 9423 (mobile 07982 279713); the out-of-hours duty line is 020 3874 6743.
Help with child and adult safeguarding issues can be obtained from the following:
• Merton Social Services: 020 8274 4901.
• NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
• Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
• National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
• Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
• Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9–5 p.m.).